Thursday, November 29, 2012

Stella Maris 10th Annual Prize Giving Concert 2012



All I can say is Wow! My students can really sing! I'm so proud of them all!

Our school - Sekolah Rendah Stella Maris (Ampang) - ended with a school concert in the morning of November 10, 2012 held in Dewan Risda, Jalan Ampang. It is a day of recognition for students who have made some achievements in their academic performances during the year. Parents and friends of students were all invited to a day of prize giving and concert items presented by each class from Years 1 to 6, in addition to the Stella Maris School Band and the Bible Knowledge Choir.

Here's an account of my journey from the inception of the choir to the day of presentation.
.. and (sadly) the aftermath.. 

Since I was teaching Bible Knowledge classes I was asked to prepare the Years 4, 5 & 6 students to present a concert item, with the help of a good friend/teacher Ms June. We came up with three Christmas carols - One Small Child, Do You Hear What I Hear & Feliz Navidad. I thought what better way to end the school days than by bringing some Christmas cheer to all, since we wouldn't be seeing each other during the holidays. We started the practice first week of September. 

We started practicing class by class initially since we were unable to gather all of the students at one time. When I first taught them to sing in parts it was a little chaotic, and I was getting doubtful. Would I be able to pull it off? 

I was playing the guitar during the first few sessions but later I played my guitar recordings so I could focus on giving them directions. Furthermore, that way the tempo could be kept consistent. From thereon, I assigned one girl from Year 5 to be the conductor.

In later practices I started recording the singing (discreetly) and I would then review them at home, almost every night. Even before I arrived at school in the mornings I would listen to the recordings and planned the practices. It was all I could ever think of during the last two months before the concert. However, things began to look brighter when we had our practices with the Year 6 students. They were quite a mature bunch. One student offered to play the Bass guitar - it was a great addition to our music. We also included two tambourines and the Triangle.

After much thought and planning I decided to form a backup singers (Year 4 & 6 girls) who would sing the parts for the duration of the presentation, instead of inconsistencies caused by alternating between boys and girls. I even had separate practices with this group to fine-tune their singing and asked them for feedback.

I was so obsessed with our concert item that I bought an additional microphone, a bongo and a Triangle on my own account. Anyway, I had always wanted to buy them, and the timing seemed right.

During the last two weeks before the concert we managed to gather them all together for practices and I was really surprised with their singing. They sang very well indeed, albiet some who were not serious, and some not really singing but wished to remain a part of the choir. Anyway, I welcome them all 2despite certain remarks aimed at them. I just wanted everyone to have a good time and try their best.

I was greatly encouraged after hearing my Headmaster and office staff complimented on their singing several times.

On the Prize Giving day our presentation was slotted last so they could end the concert by singing the National Anthem while still on the stage. How did the choir fare on that day? Well, here's the thing..

I believe the students were all tired after almost three hours when the concert started, without any supply of drinks. When one of the microphones were set up I forgot to switch it on, causing a teeny bit of glitch in the second song. The student who was supposed to play the bongo did not turn up, but that's alright. Overall, the singing was not as good as the practices we've had in school but, considering the circumstances mentioned earlier, they really gave their best, and I'm so very proud of them all. My Headmaster also complimented on their singing.

I thank all the students for their participation and for making the concert and practice sessions a very happy experience for me. Especially the Year 5 girls in the front row with T-shirts and jeans wearing hats - who were not fully focused during practices but gave their best here during the concert.

My appreciation goes to :
- Shiebnaa - solo (One Small Child)
- Chloe - solo (Do You Hear)
- Brian, Nicolas, Komal & Ann (Single Line Solo - Do You Hear)
- Alessandra, Amanda, Shiebnaa, Chloe & Kristen (Backup Singers)
- Alessandra & Amanda (Tambourine)
- Roshini (Triangle)
- Daniel (Bass Guitar)
- Caitlyn (Conductor)
- Ms June (Teacher / Choir Assistant)
- and the rest!

- Thanks to Bryan for helping me video capture.

While waiting for the official video you can watch the singing which I have uploaded via the following links:

One Small Child


Do You Hear



Feliz Navidad


The aftermath..

That concert day was actually a very sad day for me. Not because of the small glitches, oh no. They all sang their best despite being exhausted. It was a sad day for me for the obvious reason that I would not be seeing them until next year when school reopens. Sadder because I won't be seeing my Year 6 friends whom I have worked closely with during the practice sessions. Suddenly, all life in school seem to come to a standstill. So quiet.. 

Hope I'll see them again..

2 comments:

  1. Can't believe i found this after so many years! Thank you teacher for posting this up 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most welcome! Good ol' days huh..

    ReplyDelete