Sunday, February 27, 2011

Journal - Home to Sabah : Day 2

Some time during my sleep I could hear the rain sputtering, couldn't lift up my eyelids but was sure it was in the wee hours of the morning. When I awoke it was already 1 half hour past 6am, my targeted waking time. Anyway, don't matter much as Mass was due 10am.

Went over to Juliana's house (sister) for the first time since they built it on their own last year. It's wonderful that their house is on the same land as my dad's so they could easily look after my parents.

Off to St Michael's church in Penampang, just a kilometer away with Jacintha (sis in law) and the girls. The church looks the same as the last time I'd seen it, but nevertheless beautiful and homely. But what really amazes me is the singing. the Mass was in Bahasa Malaysia and the choir was in full force, mostly young boys and girls in their teens, guided by a female choir master. The singing was absolutely superb! With seconds and perfect timing they sang with passion and discipline. it's true then, that Sabahans have the talent for singing. Yup, no doubt about it.

After Mass we adjourned to Bundusan for Chinese breakfast where David (brother) joined in. the noodles was really fantastic. it seems the restaurant owner made the noodles themselves and the dish is called Beaufort mee. It's one of the well known dish in Sabah.

As we almost finished our meal we got a call from my sis Juliana that dad fell and got his fingers cut and she was on the way to bring him to the 1Malaysia clinic near where we were having our breakfast. When they arrived we were told that the clinic did not have the antibiotic so we proceeded to Queen Elizabeth hospital in KK. Alas, the trip there met with a long queue of traffic caused by unintelligible traffic light system.

When we reached the emergency ward we had to register my dad for a Ringgit and it took about 15 minutes before he was whisked in a wheel chair into the ward where the doctor, or a nurse i think, gave him 6 stitches. That procedure took aver an hour. We reached home at 2:25. He's okay but the main concern is that he is unable to walk, since about a week ago, due to the weakening of his legs. We had to support him at both sides.

later at 3:45pm my younger sister, Judith, came over and took me out to paint the town red before stopping for a drink at Damai, Luyang. Chit chat about Tone Excel programme and forex. before dinner we stopped by a supermarket and bought adult pampas for my dad and 2 packs of Essence of Chicken. Dinner was at a chinese restaurant in Bundusan.

Home at 9:05pm. Spent some time with my dad on his bed. His speech is a little bit slurred and his hearing is not very good. Sitting by his side I felt very sad that he is no longer able bodied as before and needs someone to support him physically. He must be feeling lonely too and frustrated that he is not as mobile as he wishes to be. I really don't like to think about it so much because it breaks my heart knowing this.

After my shower and a hot mug of nescafe I began to type my 2nd day in Sabah journal so I would not forget my exploits here. Tomorrow is a working day and I do hope my office will not call my mobile. Let's hope tomorrow will be a really great day! Of course, for you, too!

2 comments:

  1. Uncle i hope everything is ok with your dad.. thank god u are there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evie, thanks. his legs are weak since a week ago. hopefully Herbalife will be good to rebuild his strength. Will send him the shake once I'm back in KL.

    ReplyDelete